Definitions of riff
- a constantly repeated musical phrase used esp. as background for a soloist or as the
basic theme of a final chorus (a term that originated in jazz music)
- (informal) a short, incisive comment, passage, or scene, often one of several functioning as
variations on a theme, in a speech, novel, film, etc.
- to play a riff (a term that originated in jazz music)
- (informal) to make use of a riff or riffs
Word forms: plural Riffs
, ˈRiffi (rɪfi
- a member of a Berber people living in the Rif and nearby regions
Derived FormsˈRiffian (ˈrɪfiən
) adjective, noun
Translations for 'riff'
- American English: riff In jazz and rock music, a riff is a short, repeated tune. riffs
- Brazilian Portuguese: motivo musical repetido em uma canção
- Chinese: 反复的音乐小节爵士或摇滚乐反复複的音乐樂小节節
- European Spanish: riff
- French: riff
- German: Riff
- Italian: riff
- Japanese: リフ
- Korean: 재즈나 락 음악에서 반복되는 악절
- Portuguese: motivo musical repetido numa canção
- Spanish: riff
Example Sentences Including 'riff'
It was absurd, really, like a sit-com riff , "Tell your father to pass the salt," "Tell your mother to get it herself.
FLIGHT LESSONS (2002)