- = adjust, fit, adapt, accommodate, accustom, conform, mingle, blend in, become like, homogenize, acclimatize, intermix, become similar, acculturate •
They had been assimilated into the nation's culture.
- = learn, absorb, take in, incorporate, digest, imbibe (literary), ingest •
My mind could only assimilate one possibility at a time.
'assimilate' in Other Languages
- British English: assimilate When people such as immigrants assimilate into a community or when that community assimilates them, they become an accepted part of it. VERBAll immigrants assimilate into society, but also change it.
- Brazilian Portuguese: assimilar
- Chinese: 同化
- European Spanish: asimilar
- French: s'assimiler
- German: integrieren
- Italian: assimilare
- Japanese: 同化する
- Korean: 동화되다
- Portuguese: assimilar
- Spanish: asimilar
to comment on this word.