- = start, opening, break (informal), chance, source, opportunity, birth, origin, introduction, outset, starting point, onset, overture, initiation, inauguration, inception, commencement, opening move •
Think of this as a new beginning.
opposites: ending, end, closing, finish, conclusion, completion, termination
- = outset, start, opening, birth, onset, prelude, preface, commencement, kickoff (informal) •
The question was raised at the beginning of this chapter.
- = origins, family, beginnings, stock, birth, roots, heritage, descent, pedigree, extraction, ancestry, lineage, parentage, stirps •
His views come from his own humble beginnings.
- = seed, root, embryo, germ, fount, fountainhead
- = start, commence, proceed •
He stood up and began to walk around the room.
opposites: end, stop, finish, cease, terminate
- = commence, start, initiate, embark on, set about, instigate, inaugurate, institute, make a beginning, set on foot •
The US wants to begin talks immediately.
- = start talking, start, open, initiate, commence, lead off, begin business, get or start the ball rolling •
He didn't know how to begin.
- = come into existence, start, appear, emerge, spring, be born, arise, dawn, be developed, be created, originate, commence, be invented, become available, crop up (informal), come into being •
It began as a local festival.
- = emerge, start, spring, stem, derive, issue, originate •
The fate line begins close to the wrist.
opposites: cease, end, finish, stop
- = start •
The first word begins with an F.
See to begin with
- = at first, to start with, in the first place •
It was great to begin with but now it's difficult.
- = firstly •
To begin with, they doubt it's going to work.
'beginning' in Other Languages
- British English: beginning The beginningof something is the first part of it.This was the beginning of her career.bɪˈɡɪnɪŋ NOUN
- Arabic: بَدَايَة
- Brazilian Portuguese: começo
- Chinese: 开始
- Croatian: početak
- Czech: začátek
- Danish: begyndelse
- Dutch: begin
- European Spanish: principiocomienzo
- Finnish: alku
- French: début
- German: Anfang Anfänge
- Greek: αρχή
- Italian: inizio
- Japanese: 始め
- Korean: 시작
- Norwegian: begynnelse
- Polish: początek
- Portuguese: começo
- Romanian: început începuturi
- Russian: начало
- Spanish: principioinicio
- Swedish: början
- Thai: การเริ่มต้น
- Turkish: başlangıç
- Ukrainian: початок
- Vietnamese: khởi đầu
to comment on this word.