- = evacuation, emptying, withdrawal, removal, eviction, depopulation, unpeopling •
By the late fifties, slum clearance was the watchword in town planning.
- = permission, consent, endorsement, green light, authorization, blank cheque, go-ahead (informal), leave, sanction, O.K. or okay (informal) •
He has a security clearance that allows him access to classified information.
- = space, gap, margin, allowance, headroom •
The lowest fixed bridge has 12.8m clearance.
'clearance' in Other Languages
- British English: clearance Clearance is the removal of old buildings, trees, or other things that are not wanted from an area. NOUN...a slum clearance operation.
- Brazilian Portuguese: remoção
- Chinese: 拆除
- European Spanish: despeje
- French: déblaiement
- German: Räumung
- Italian: sgombro
- Japanese: 除去
- Korean: 제거
- Portuguese: remoção
- Spanish: despeje
to comment on this word.