- = surface, top, bar, worktop •
He put the money on the counter and left.
- = token, piece, chip, disc, marker, man •
Players throw dice to move their counters round the board.
- = oppose, meet, block, resist, offset, parry, deflect, repel, rebuff, fend off, counteract, ward off, stave off, repulse, obviate, hold at bay •
They discussed a plan to counter the effects of such a blockade.
- = retaliate, return, answer, reply, respond, come back, retort, hit back, refute, rejoin, strike back •
The union countered with letters rebutting the company's claim.
opposites: accept, yield, surrender, give in, cave in (informal), take
- = opposite to, against, versus, conversely, in defiance of, at variance with, contrarily, contrariwise •
Their findings ran counter to all expectations.
opposites: parallel to, in accordance with, in agreement with
- = opposing, conflicting, opposed, contrasting, opposite, contrary, adverse, contradictory, obverse, against •
These charges and counter charges are being exchanged at an important time.
opposites: similar, parallel, accordant
'counter' in Other Languages
- British English: counter In a shop, a counter is a long flat surface at which customers are served....the meat counter.ˈkaʊntə NOUN
- Arabic: طَاوِلَة بَيْع
- Brazilian Portuguese: balcão
- Chinese: 柜台
- Croatian: pult
- Czech: přepážka
- Danish: disk
- Dutch: toonbank
- European Spanish: mostrador
- Finnish: tiski
- French: comptoir
- German: Tresen
- Greek: πάγκος πωλήσεων
- Italian: bancone
- Japanese: カウンター
- Korean: 카운터
- Norwegian: telleverk
- Polish: lada
- Portuguese: balcão
- Romanian: ghișeu ghișee
- Russian: прилавок
- Spanish: mostrador
- Swedish: kontra
- Thai: เคาน์เตอร์
- Turkish: tezgah
- Ukrainian: вітрина
- Vietnamese: quầy
- British English: counter If you do something to counter a particular action or process, you do something which has an opposite effect to it or makes it less effective. VERBThe leadership discussed a plan of economic measures to counter the effects of such a blockade.He countered with a claim for police protection.
- Brazilian Portuguese: responder
- Chinese: 抗衡
- European Spanish: contrarrestar
- French: contrer
- German: entgegenwirken
- Italian: contrastare
- Japanese: 逆らう
- Korean: 대항하다
- Portuguese: contrariar
- Spanish: contrarrestar
to comment on this word.