- = discouragement, obstacle, curb, restraint, impediment, check, hindrance, disincentive, defensive measures, determent •
They seriously believe that capital punishment is a deterrent.
opposites: spur, incentive, lure, bait, motivation, stimulus, inducement, carrot (informal), enticement
- = discouraging, inhibiting, hindering, dissuading •
He believes in the deterrent effect of custodial sentences
'deterrent' in Other Languages
- British English: deterrent A deterrent is something that prevents people from doing something by making them afraid of what will happen to them if they do it. NOUNThey seriously believe that capital punishment is a deterrent.
- Brazilian Portuguese: dissuasivo
- Chinese: 威慑物威慑懾物
- European Spanish: fuerza disuasoria
- French: moyen dissuasif
- German: Abschreckungsmittel
- Italian: deterrente
- Japanese: 抑止するもの
- Korean: 제지하는 것
- Portuguese: dissuasivo
- Spanish: fuerza disuasoria
to comment on this word.