- = informed, aware, liberal, reasonable, educated, sophisticated, refined, cultivated, open-minded, knowledgeable, literate, broad-minded •
He should be remembered as an enlightened and humane reformer.
opposites: unaware, ignorant, short-sighted, uneducated, narrow-minded, small-minded, unenlightened
- = inform, tell, teach, advise, counsel, educate, instruct, illuminate, make aware, edify, apprise, let know, cause to understand •
Their aim is to enlighten the public about the situation.
'enlightened' in Other Languages
- British English: enlightened If you describe someone or their attitudes as enlightened, you mean that they have sensible, modern attitudes and ways of dealing with things. ADJECTIVEEnlightened companies include their human resources in their estimation of the firm's worth.
- Brazilian Portuguese: bem informado
- Chinese: 开明的开開明的
- European Spanish: progresista
- French: éclairé éclairée
- German: aufgeklärt
- Italian: lungimirante
- Japanese: 賢明な
- Korean: 진보한
- Portuguese: bem informado bem-informada
- Spanish: progresista
to comment on this word.