- = big, strong, massive, strapping, robust, muscular, burly, husky (informal), hulking, beefy (informal), brawny •
She was quite a hefty woman.
opposites: little, small, minute, short, tiny, thin, narrow, slight, slim, insignificant, diminutive, ineffectual, inconsequential, pocket-sized, scanty, infinitesimal
- = forceful, heavy, powerful, vigorous (slang) •
Lambert gave him a hefty shove to send him on his way.
opposites: gentle, soft, weak, mild, frail, feeble, weedy (informal), wimpish or wimpy (informal)
- = heavy, large, massive, substantial, tremendous, awkward, ample, bulky, colossal, cumbersome, weighty, unwieldy, ponderous •
The gritty foursome took turns shouldering the hefty load every five minutes.
- = large, massive, substantial, excessive, inflated, sizeable, astronomical (informal), extortionate •
A long-distance romance followed with hefty phone bills.
'hefty' in Other Languages
- British English: hefty Hefty means large in size, weight, or amount. ADJECTIVEShe was quite a hefty woman.
- Brazilian Portuguese: robusto
- Chinese: 庞大的庞龐大的
- European Spanish: fornido fornida
- French: sacré sacrée
- German: kräftig
- Italian: grosso grossa
- Japanese: 大きな
- Korean: 큰
- Portuguese: robusto robusta
- Spanish: fornido fornida
to comment on this word.