- = whistle, wheeze, rasp, whiz, whirr, sibilate •
The air hissed out of the pipe.
- = jeer, mock, ridicule, deride, decry, revile •
The delegates booed and hissed him.
- = fizz, buzz, hissing, fizzing, sibilance, sibilation •
the hiss of a beer bottle opening
'hiss' in Other Languages
- British English: hiss To hiss means to make a sound like a long 's'. VERBThe tyres of his bike hissed over the wet pavement as he slowed down.
- Brazilian Portuguese: sibilar
- Chinese: 发嘶嘶声发發嘶嘶声聲
- European Spanish: silbar
- French: siffler
- German: zischen
- Italian: sibilare
- Japanese: シューという音を出す
- Korean: 쉬이 하는 소리를 내다
- Portuguese: sibilar
- Spanish: silbar
to comment on this word.