- need, demand, requirement, exigency, indispensability, needfulness •
There is agreement on the necessity of reforms.
- essential, need, necessary, requirement, fundamental, requisite, prerequisite, sine qua non (Latin), desideratum, want, must-have •
Water is a basic necessity of life.
- inevitability, certainty, inexorability, ineluctability, shoo-in (US & & Canadian), inexorableness, unavoidability, unavoidableness •
the ultimate necessity of death
- poverty, need, privation, penury, destitution, extremity, indigence •
They were reduced to begging through economic necessity.
- essential, need, requirement, fundamental, exigency, indispensable •
They sometimes had to struggle to pay for necessities.
Necessity is the mother of invention
Jonathan Swift – Gulliver's Travels
Necessity never made a good bargain
Benjamin Franklin – Poor Richard's Almanack
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom; it is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves
William Pitt – speech
You make a virtue of necessity
Saint Jerome – Apologeticum adversus Rufinum
Give us the luxuries of life, and we will dispense with its necessities
John Lothrop Motley
Necessity knows no law
Needs must when the devil drives
- See of necessity
'necessity' in Other Languages
- British English: necessity /nɪˈsɛsɪtɪ/ NOUN
Necessity is the need to do something.Most people work from economic necessity.
- Arabic: ضَرُورَةٌ
- Brazilian Portuguese: necessidade
- Chinese: 必要性
- Croatian: nužnost
- Czech: nutnost
- Danish: nødvendighed
- Dutch: noodzaak
- European Spanish: necesidad cosa
- Finnish: välttämättömyys
- French: nécessité
- German: Notwendigkeit
- Greek: αναγκαιότητα
- Italian: necessità
- Japanese: 必要性
- Korean: 필요성
- Norwegian: nødvendighet
- Polish: potrzeba
- Portuguese: necessidade
- Romanian: necesitate necesități
- Russian: необходимость
- Spanish: necesidad
- Swedish: nödvändighet
- Thai: ความจำเป็น
- Turkish: gereklilik
- Ukrainian: необхідність
- Vietnamese: sự cần thiết
Definition of necessity from the Collins English Thesaurus
something needed for a desired result; prerequisite
Train like a Scrabble champion
Allan Simmons' 5 tips on learning words.
Join our newsletter
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.