- = nonpublic, independent, commercial, privatised, private-enterprise, denationalized, closed of data or programming language •
a joint venture with private industry
- = exclusive, individual, privately owned, own, special, particular, reserved •
He has had to sell his private plane.
opposites: public, general, common
- = secret, confidential, covert, inside, closet, unofficial, privy (archaic), clandestine, off the record, hush-hush (informal), in camera •
He held a private meeting with the country's political party leaders.
opposites: public, known, open, official, revealed, disclosed
- = personal, individual, secret, hidden, intimate, undisclosed, unspoken, innermost, unvoiced •
I've always kept my private and professional life separate. •
He hardly ever betrayed his private thoughts.
- = secluded, secret, separate, isolated, concealed, retired, sequestered, not overlooked •
It was the only reasonably private place they could find to talk.
opposites: busy, frequented, bustling, unsecluded
- = solitary, reserved, retiring, withdrawn, discreet, secretive, self-contained, reclusive, reticent, insular, introvert, uncommunicative •
Gould was an intensely private individual.
opposites: outgoing, sociable
- = unofficial, personal, non-official •
The President is here on a private visit.
- = enlisted man (US), tommy (British, informal), private soldier, Tommy Atkins (British, informal), squaddie or squaddy (British, slang) •
The rest of the gunners in the battery were privates.
'private' in Other Languages
- British English: private Private industries and services are owned and controlled by an individual person or group, rather than by the state....private education.ˈpraɪvɪt ADJECTIVE
- Arabic: خُصُوصِّي
- Brazilian Portuguese: privado privada
- Chinese: 私密的
- Croatian: privatan privatna
- Czech: soukromý
- Danish: privat
- Dutch: privé
- European Spanish: privado privada
- Finnish: yksityinen
- French: privé
- German: privat
- Greek: ιδιωτικός ιδιωτική
- Italian: privato privata
- Japanese: 個人的な
- Korean: 사적인
- Norwegian: privat
- Polish: prywatny prywatna
- Portuguese: privado privada
- Romanian: particular particulară, particulari, particulare
- Russian: частный частная
- Spanish: privado privada
- Swedish: privat
- Thai: ที่เป็นส่วนตัว
- Turkish: özel
- Ukrainian: приватний
- Vietnamese: riêng tư
to comment on this word.