Synonyms of repressed
- = inhibited, frustrated, suppressed •
a sexually repressed 30-year-old woman
- = suppressed, held in, restrained, inhibited, held back, bottled up •
an effective outlet for repressed emotions
- = control, suppress, hold back, bottle up, check, master, hold in, overcome, curb, restrain, inhibit, overpower, keep in check •
People who repress their emotions risk having nightmares.
opposites: release, encourage, express, let out, give free rein to
- = hold back, suppress, stifle, smother, silence, swallow, muffle •
I couldn't repress a sigh of admiration.
- = subdue, abuse, crush, oppress, quash, wrong, persecute, quell, subjugate, maltreat, trample underfoot, tyrannize over, rule with an iron hand •
They have been repressed for decades.
opposites: free, liberate
'repressed' in Other Languages
- British English: repressed A repressed person is someone who does not allow themselves to have natural feelings and desires, especially sexual ones. ADJECTIVESome have charged that they were sexually repressed.
- Brazilian Portuguese: reprimido
- Chinese: > 受到压抑的感情、欲望等> 受到压壓抑的
- European Spanish: reprimido reprimida
- French: refoulé refoulée
- German: unterdrückt
- Italian: represso repressa
- Japanese: 抑圧された
- Korean: 억압된
- Portuguese: reprimido reprimida
- Spanish: reprimido reprimida