Synonyms of saw
- perceive, note, spot, notice, mark, view, eye, check, regard, identify, sight, witness, clock (British, slang), observe, recognize, distinguish, glimpse, check out (informal), make out, heed, discern, behold, eyeball (slang), catch a glimpse of, catch sight of, espy, get a load of (slang), descry, take a dekko at (British, slang), lay or clap eyes on (informal)
I saw a man making his way towards me.
- visit, call on, drop in on (informal), look (someone) up, be the guest of, call in on, pop in on (informal), pay a call on•
I went to see him yesterday.
- watch, view, look at, observe•
It was one of the most amazing films I've ever seen.
- understand, get, follow, realize, know, appreciate, take in, grasp, make out, catch on (informal), comprehend, fathom, get the hang of (informal), get the drift of•
Oh, I see what you're saying.
- foresee, picture, imagine, anticipate, divine, envisage, visualize, foretell•
We can see a day when all people live side by side.
- witness, watch, observe, view, note, notice, behold (archaic & literary)
He has seen the economy of his town decline.
- find out, learn, discover, establish, determine, investigate, verify, ascertain, make inquiries•
I'd better go and see if she's all right.
- consider, decide, think about, judge, reflect, deliberate, mull over, think over, make up your mind, ponder over, give some thought to•
We'll see what we can do, Miss.
- make sure, mind, ensure, guarantee, be sure, take care, make certain, see to it•
See that you take care of him.
- accompany, show, escort, lead, walk, attend, shepherd, usher•
He didn't offer to see her to her car.
- speak to, receive, interview, consult, confer with•
The doctor can see you now.
- meet, encounter, come across, run into, happen on, bump into, run across, chance on•
I saw her last night at Monica's.
- go out with, court, date (informal, mainly US), have an affair with, walk out with (obsolete), have a fling with, keep company with, go steady with (informal), consort or associate with, step out with (informal)
My husband was still seeing her.
- refer to•
See Chapter 7 below.
What the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve over
What you see is what you get
Seeing is believing
usage note: It is common to hear seeing as how, as in Seeing as how the bus is always late, I don't need to hurry. However, the use of how here is considered incorrect or nonstandard, and should be avoided.
'saw' in Other Languages
- Arabic: مِنْشَار
- Brazilian Portuguese: serra
- Chinese: 锯子
- Croatian: pila
- Czech: pila
- Danish: sav
- Dutch: zaag
- European Spanish: sierra
- Finnish: saha
- French: scie
- German: Säge
- Greek: πριόνι
- Italian: sega
- Japanese: のこぎり
- Korean: 톱
- Norwegian: sag
- Polish: piła
- Portuguese: serra
- Romanian: ferăstrău ferăstraie
- Russian: пила
- Spanish: sierra
- Swedish: såg verktyg
- Thai: เลื่อย
- Turkish: testere
- Ukrainian: пила
- Vietnamese: cưa
Thesaurus for saw from the Collins English Thesaurus
any of various hand tools for cutting wood, metal, etc, having a blade with teeth along one edge