Synonyms of say
- state, declare, remark, add, announce, maintain, mention, assert, affirm, asseverate•
She said she was very impressed.
- speak, utter, voice, express, pronounce, come out with (informal), put into words, give voice or utterance to•
I hope you didn't say anything about me.
- make known, reveal, disclose, divulge, answer, reply, respond, give as your opinion•
I must say that that rather shocked me, too.
- read, show, display, indicate•
The clock said four minutes past eleven.
- suggest, reveal, express, imply, communicate, disclose, give away, convey, divulge•
That says a lot about the power of their marketing people.
- suppose, supposing, imagine, assume, presume, postulate•
Say you lived in Boston, Massachusetts.
- estimate, suppose, guess, conjecture, surmise, dare say, hazard a guess•
I'd say she must be at least a size 20.
- recite, perform, deliver, do, read, repeat, render, rehearse, orate•
How am I going to go on and say those lines tonight?
- allege, report, claim, hold, suggest, insist, maintain, rumour, assert, uphold, profess, put about that•
He says he did it after the police pressured him.
- See to say the least
'say' in Other Languages
- Arabic: يَقولُ
- Brazilian Portuguese: dizer
- Chinese: 说
- Croatian: reći
- Czech: říci
- Danish: sige
- Dutch: zeggen
- European Spanish: decir
- Finnish: sanoa
- French: dire
- German: sagen
- Greek: λέω
- Italian: dire
- Japanese: 言う
- Korean: 말하다
- Norwegian: si
- Polish: powiedzieć mówić
- Portuguese: dizer
- Romanian: a spune
- Russian: говорить
- Spanish: decir
- Swedish: säga
- Thai: พูด
- Turkish: söylemek
- Ukrainian: казати сказати
- Vietnamese: nói
Thesaurus for say from the Collins English Thesaurus
to speak, pronounce, or utter