- = state, declare, remark, add, announce, maintain, mention, assert, affirm, asseverate •
She said she was very impressed.
- = speak, utter, voice, express, pronounce, come out with (informal), put into words, give voice or utterance to •
I hope you didn't say anything about me.
- = make known, reveal, disclose, divulge, answer, reply, respond, give as your opinion •
I must say that that rather shocked me, too.
- = read, show, display, indicate •
The clock said four minutes past eleven.
- = suggest, reveal, express, imply, communicate, disclose, give away, convey, divulge •
That says a lot about the power of their marketing people.
- = suppose, supposing, imagine, assume, presume, postulate •
Say you lived in Boston, Massachusetts.
- = estimate, suppose, guess, conjecture, surmise, dare say, hazard a guess •
I'd say she must be at least a size 20.
- = recite, perform, deliver, do, read, repeat, render, rehearse, orate •
How am I going to go on and say those lines tonight?
- = allege, report, claim, hold, suggest, insist, maintain, rumour, assert, uphold, profess, put about that •
He says he did it after the police pressured him.
- = influence, power, control, authority, weight, sway, clout (informal), predominance, mana (New Zealand) •
The students wanted more say in the running of the university.
- = chance to speak, vote, voice, crack (informal), opportunity to speak, turn to speak •
Let him have his say.
'say' in Other Languages
- British English: say When you say something, you talk.She said that they were very pleased.seɪ VERB
- Arabic: يَقولُ
- Brazilian Portuguese: dizer
- Chinese: 说
- Croatian: reći
- Czech: říci
- Danish: sige
- Dutch: zeggen
- European Spanish: decir
- Finnish: sanoa
- French: dire
- German: sagen
- Greek: λέω
- Italian: dire
- Japanese: 言う
- Korean: 말하다
- Norwegian: si
- Polish: powiedzieć mówić
- Portuguese: dizer
- Romanian: a spune
- Russian: говорить
- Spanish: decir
- Swedish: säga
- Thai: พูด
- Turkish: söylemek
- Ukrainian: казати сказати
- Vietnamese: nói
to comment on this word.