- = throw about, spread, sprinkle, strew, broadcast, shower, fling, litter, sow, diffuse, disseminate •
He began by scattering seed and putting in plants.
opposites: collect, gather
- = disperse, separate, break up, dispel, disband, dissipate, go their separate ways, disunite, go in different directions, put to flight •
After dinner, everyone scattered.
opposites: assemble, converge, congregate, unite, rally, gather
- = dot, spot, sprinkle, pepper, litter, fleck, stipple •
bays picturesquely scattered with rocky islets
'scatter' in Other Languages
- British English: scatter If you scatter things over an area, you throw or drop them so that they spread all over the area. VERBShe scattered the rose petals on the ground.
- Brazilian Portuguese: espalhar
- Chinese: 撒
- European Spanish: esparcir
- French: éparpiller
- German: verstreuen
- Italian: sparpagliare
- Japanese: ばらまく
- Korean: 흩뿌리다
- Portuguese: espalhar
- Spanish: esparcir
to comment on this word.