- = grief, sadness, woe, regret, distress, misery, mourning, anguish, unhappiness, heartache, heartbreak, affliction •
It was a time of great sorrow.
opposites: joy, happiness, delight, pleasure, bliss, elation, exaltation, exultation, gladness
- = hardship, trial, tribulation, affliction, worry, trouble, blow, grief, woe, misfortune, bummer (slang) •
the joys and sorrows of family life
opposites: good fortune, lucky break
- = grieve, mourn, lament, weep, moan, be sad, bemoan, agonize, eat your heart out, bewail •
She was lamented by a large circle of sorrowing friends and acquaintances.
opposites: celebrate, rejoice, exult, delight, revel, jump for joy, large it (British, slang)
'sorrow' in Other Languages
- British English: sorrow Sorrow is a feeling of deep sadness or regret. NOUNIt was a time of great sorrow.
- Brazilian Portuguese: tristeza
- Chinese: 悲伤悲伤傷
- European Spanish: pena
- French: peine
- German: Trauer
- Italian: dolore
- Japanese: 悲しみ
- Korean: 슬픔
- Portuguese: tristeza
- Spanish: pena
to comment on this word.