- = anxious, concerned, troubled, upset, afraid, bothered, frightened, wired (slang), nervous, disturbed, distressed, tense, distracted, uneasy, fearful, tormented, distraught, apprehensive, perturbed, on edge, ill at ease, overwrought, fretful, hot and bothered, unquiet, antsy (informal) •
I'm not worried about the future.
opposites: quiet, calm, peaceful, fearless, tranquil, unconcerned, unfazed (informal), unafraid, unworried
- = be anxious, be concerned, be worried, obsess, brood, fret, agonize, feel uneasy, get in a lather (informal), get in a sweat (informal), get in a tizzy (informal), get overwrought •
I worry about my daughter constantly.
opposites: be unconcerned, be unperturbed, be apathetic
- = trouble, upset, harry, bother, disturb, distress, annoy, plague, irritate, tease, unsettle, torment, harass, hassle (informal), badger, hector, disquiet, pester, vex, perturb, tantalize, importune, make anxious •
‘Why didn't you tell us?’ ‘ didn't want to worry you.’
opposites: comfort, calm, soothe, console, solace
- = attack, bite, kill, tear, go for, harry, savage, harass, lacerate, gnaw at •
The dog was shot dead by a farmer for worrying sheep.
- = anxiety, concern, care, fear, trouble, misery, disturbance, torment, woe, irritation, unease, apprehension, misgiving, annoyance, trepidation, perplexity, vexation •
His last years were overshadowed by financial worry.
opposites: comfort, calm, consolation, reassurance, peace of mind, solace, serenity, tranquillity
- = problem, care, trouble, trial, bother, plague, pest, torment, irritation, hassle (informal), annoyance, vexation •
Robert's health had always been a worry to his wife.
'worried' in Other Languages
- British English: worried When you are worried, you are unhappy because you keep thinking about problems that you have or about unpleasant things that might happen in the future.I'm worried about what is going to happen to us.ˈwʌrɪd ADJECTIVE
- Arabic: قَلِق
- Brazilian Portuguese: preocupado preocupada
- Chinese: 担忧的
- Croatian: zabrinut zabrinuta
- Czech: ustaraný
- Danish: bekymret
- Dutch: bezorgd
- European Spanish: preocupado preocupada
- Finnish: huolestunut
- French: inquiet
- German: besorgt
- Greek: ανήσυχος ανήσυχη
- Italian: preoccupato preoccupata
- Japanese: 心配している
- Korean: 걱정스러운
- Norwegian: engstelig
- Polish: zmartwiony zmartwiona
- Portuguese: preocupado preocupada
- Romanian: îngrijorat îngrijorat, îngrijorată, îngrijorați, îngrijorate
- Russian: озабоченный озабоченная
- Spanish: preocupado preocupada
- Swedish: orolig oroligt
- Thai: เป็นห่วงกังวล
- Turkish: endişeli
- Ukrainian: схвильований
- Vietnamese: lo lắng
to comment on this word.