Definition of abstract
Synonyms of 'abstract'More synonyms
theoreticalgeneral, complex, academic, intellectual, subtle, profound, philosophical, speculative, unrealistic, conceptual, indefinite, deep, separate, occult, hypothetical, generalized, impractical, arcane, notional, abstruse, recondite, theoretic, conjectural, unpractical, nonconcrete
summaryrésumé, outline, extract, essence, summing-up, digest, epitome, rundown, condensation, compendium, synopsis, précis, recapitulation, review, abridgment
extractdraw, pull, remove, separate, withdraw, isolate, pull out, take out, take away, detach, dissociate, pluck out
Trends of 'abstract'
View usage over:
Translations for 'abstract'
- British English: abstract /ˈæbstrækt/ ADJECTIVE
An abstract idea or way of thinking is based on general ideas rather than on real things and events....abstract principles such as justice.
- Arabic: نَظَرِيّ
- Brazilian Portuguese: abstrato abstrata
- Chinese: 抽象的
- Croatian: apstraktan apstraktna
- Czech: abstraktní
- Danish: abstrakt
- Dutch: abstract
- European Spanish: abstracto abstracta
- Finnish: abstrakti
- French: abstrait
- German: abstrakt
- Greek: θεωρητικός θεωρητική
- Italian: astratto astratta
- Japanese: 抽象的な
- Korean: 추상적인
- Norwegian: abstrakt
- Polish: abstrakcyjny abstrakcyjna
- Portuguese: abstracto abstracta
- Romanian: abstract abstractă, abstracți, abstracte
- Russian: абстрактный абстрактная
- Spanish: abstracto abstracta
- Swedish: abstrakt diffus
- Thai: ที่เป็นนามธรรม
- Turkish: soyut
- Ukrainian: абстрактний
- Vietnamese: trừu tượng
- British English: abstract NOUN
An abstract is an abstract work of art.His abstracts are held in numerous collections.
Definition of abstract from the Collins English Dictionary
Train like a Scrabble champion
Allan Simmons' 5 tips on learning words.
Join our newsletter
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.
Related Terms of 'abstract'