theoretical, general, complex, academic, intellectual, subtle, profound, philosophical, speculative, unrealistic, conceptual, indefinite, deep, separate, occult, hypothetical, generalized, impractical, arcane, notional, abstruse, recondite, theoretic, conjectural, unpractical, nonconcrete
summary, résumé, outline, extract, essence, summing-up, digest, epitome, rundown, condensation, compendium, synopsis, précis, recapitulation, review, abridgment
extract, draw, pull, remove, separate, withdraw, isolate, pull out, take out, take away, detach, dissociate, pluck out
Word usage trends for “abstract”
View usage over:
Translations for 'abstract'
- British English: abstract /ˈæbstrækt/ ADJECTIVE
An abstract idea or way of thinking is based on general ideas rather than on real things and events....abstract principles such as justice.
- Arabic: نَظَرِيّ
- Brazilian Portuguese: abstrato abstrata
- Chinese: 抽象的
- Croatian: apstraktan apstraktna
- Czech: abstraktní
- Danish: abstrakt
- Dutch: abstract
- European Spanish: abstracto abstracta
- Finnish: abstrakti
- French: abstrait
- German: abstrakt
- Greek: θεωρητικός θεωρητική
- Italian: astratto astratta
- Japanese: 抽象的な
- Korean: 추상적인
- Norwegian: abstrakt
- Polish: abstrakcyjny abstrakcyjna
- Portuguese: abstracto abstracta
- Romanian: abstract abstractă, abstracți, abstracte
- Russian: абстрактный абстрактная
- Spanish: abstracto abstracta
- Swedish: abstrakt diffus
- Thai: ที่เป็นนามธรรม
- Turkish: soyut
- Ukrainian: абстрактний
- Vietnamese: trừu tượng
- British English: abstract NOUN
An abstract is an abstract work of art.His abstracts are held in numerous collections.
Train like a Scrabble champion
Allan Simmons' 5 tips on learning words.
Join our newsletter
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.