- arrangement in a straight line
- the line or lines formed in this manner
- alliance or union with a party, cause, etc
- proper or desirable coordination or relation of components
- a ground plan of a railway, motor road, etc
- (archaeology) an arrangement of one or more ancient rows of standing stones, of uncertain significance
- (psychology) integration or harmonization of aims, practices, etc within a group
- (psychology) identification with or matching of the behaviour, thoughts, etc of another person
View thesaurus entry
= lining up
, straightening up
, evening up
Word usage trends for “alignment”
Translations for 'alignment'
- British English: alignment An alignment is support for a particular group, especially in politics, or for a side in a quarrel or struggle. NOUN…an alignment of interests.
- Brazilian Portuguese: alinhamento
- Chinese: 结盟结結盟
- European Spanish: alineación
- French: alignement
- German: Ausrichtung
- Italian: schieramento
- Japanese: 提携
- Korean: 동조
- Portuguese: alinhamento
- Spanish: alineación
Example Sentences Including 'alignment'
"I was thinking more of the alignment of interior with the exterior.
COLDHEART CANYON (2001)
The magnetic field of the brain was in alignment with the backbone.
The Open Door
With her back held in the correct postural alignment she rose from the sofa.
MR GOLIGHTLY'S HOLIDAY (2003)