- any reciprocating or rotating device that compresses a gas
- the part of a gas turbine that compresses the air before it enters the combustion
- any muscle that causes compression of any part or structure
- a medical instrument for holding down a part of the body
- an electronic device for reducing the variation in signal amplitude in a transmission
system Compare expander, compander
Example Sentences Including 'compressor'
"As reported, ChevronTexaco Corp.'s refinery at Richmond reported a hydrogen compressor problem this weekend.
Globe and Mail (2003)
And when the jet was ordered back to RAF Waddington in Lincs, mechanics found two engine compressor blades were broken.
Sun, News of the World (2001)
As of now, anyone can use compressor software like MP3 to copy music from a compact disc to a hard drive, and then put it up on a Website.
Business Today (2000)
Electronically controlled valves in those systems regulate the compressor to match environmental conditions.
Globe and Mail (2004)
He got the compressor going and patted the machine, now an old friend and co- conspirator.
No point in trying to repair the valve and refill the pipe with the compressor.
Or something could have dropped off from under the train such as a compressor or electric motor.
Times, Sunday Times (2002)
Stone kept backing away until he bumped into the throbbing compressor.
To obviate this, an audio compressor may be used which can assist in levelling out different sound volumes.
Corporate Cloak and Dagger
to comment on this word.