- a small remote tropical island
Translations for 'desert island'
- British English: desert island A desert island is a small tropical island, where nobody lives.ˈdɛzət ˈaɪlənd NOUN
- Arabic: جَزِيرَةٌ اِسْتِوائِيَّةٌ غَيْرُ مَأْهُولَة
- Brazilian Portuguese: ilha deserta
- Chinese: 荒岛
- Croatian: pusti otok
- Czech: opuštěný ostrov
- Danish: øde ø
- Dutch: onbewoond eiland
- European Spanish: isla desierta
- Finnish: autio saari
- French: île déserte
- German: einsame Insel
- Greek: ερημονήσι
- Italian: isola deserta
- Japanese: 無人島
- Korean: 무인도
- Norwegian: øde øy
- Polish: bezludna wyspa
- Portuguese: ilha deserta
- Romanian: insulă pustie insule pustii
- Russian: необитаемый остров
- Spanish: isla desierta
- Swedish: öde ö
- Thai: เกาะที่ไม่มีคนอาศัยอยู่
- Turkish: ıssız ada
- Ukrainian: безлюдний острів
- Vietnamese: đảo hoang
Example Sentences Including 'desert island'
(4) Laughing matter: Did you hear about the sailor who was stranded on a desert island ?
The Advertiser, Sunday Mail (2004)
About the only place he'd be safe is on a desert island , alone.
As soon as he saw them, Toni started waving and shouting like a sailor marooned for years on a desert island.
As usual, Hébert went even further: `Let this little serpent and his sister be cast on a desert island.
THE LOST KING OF FRANCE: Revolution, Revenge and the Search for Louis XVII (2002)
Back page Mystery prize A South Pacific cruise offers a taste of life on a perfect desert island.
The Advertiser, Sunday Mail (2005)
But as a human being he is not desert island companion material.
Times, Sunday Times (2002)
Going by his belly, he certainly doesn't look like he's been living on a desert island.
Sun, News of the World (2001)
You have no doubt pictured it as a desert island with palm trees, sandy beaches and natives in canoes.
The Road to Paradise Island
to comment on this word.