- the act of enlarging or the condition of being enlarged
- something that enlarges or is intended to enlarge
- a photographic print that is larger than the negative from which it is made
View thesaurus entry
, opening out
Translations for 'enlargement'
- British English: enlargement The enlargement of something is the process or result of making it bigger....the enlargement of the European Union.ɪnˈlɑːdʒmənt NOUN
- Arabic: تَكْبِير
- Brazilian Portuguese: alargamento
- Chinese: 放大
- Croatian: povećanje
- Czech: zvětšení
- Danish: udvidelse
- Dutch: vergroting
- European Spanish: ampliaciónagrandamiento
- Finnish: laajennus
- French: élargissement
- German: Vergrößerung
- Greek: μεγέθυνση
- Italian: ampliamento
- Japanese: 拡大
- Korean: 확대
- Norwegian: forstørrelse
- Polish: powiększenie
- Portuguese: alargamento
- Romanian: extindere extinderi
- Russian: увеличение
- Spanish: ampliación
- Swedish: förstoring
- Thai: การขยาย
- Turkish: büyütme
- Ukrainian: розширення
- Vietnamese: sự phóng to
Example Sentences Including 'enlargement'
Brian McCabe and Dilys Rose flex familiar muscles, though `Tracks" substantiates the enlargement of Dilys Rose's fiction terrain.
Three Kinds of Kissing - Scottish Short Stories
I ADORE my girlfriend but I'm getting fed up with her talking about having a breast enlargement.
Sun, News of the World (2001)
Mr O'Sullivan said that a ratified Nice Treaty would be essential if the current enlargement round was to proceed.
Irish Times (2002)
Symptoms are painless enlargement of the thyroid gland or a feeling of fullness in the throat.
Thorsons' Complete Guide to Vitamins and Minerals
This arbitrary enlargement of the team's remit flies in the face of the resolution.
Irish Times (2002)
We are for a better European Union - it is not that we are against enlargement or the EU per se.
Glasgow Herald (2001)
With Spain and Portugal, enlargement was seen as a means of burying the last remnants of authoritarianism from Europe.
`I wish we could have an enlargement ," said Gervaise, glancing around the tiny room with approval.
Death of an Unknown Man
to comment on this word.