- the delayed aftereffects of drinking too much alcohol in a relatively short period
of time, characterized by headache and sometimes nausea and dizziness
- a person or thing left over from or influenced by a past age
View thesaurus entry
, morning after
Translations for 'hangover'
- British English: hangover A hangover is a headache and feeling of sickness that you have after drinking too much alcohol.He drank too much and had a massive hangover.ˈhæŋˌəʊvə NOUN
- Arabic: خُمَار
- Brazilian Portuguese: ressaca
- Chinese: 宿醉
- Croatian: mamurluk
- Czech: kocovina
- Danish: tømmermænd
- Dutch: kater
- European Spanish: resaca
- Finnish: krapula
- French: gueule de bois
- German: Kater KaterAlkohol
- Greek: ζαλάδα μετά από μέθη
- Italian: postumi della sbronza
- Japanese: 二日酔い
- Korean: 숙취
- Norwegian: bakrus
- Polish: kac
- Portuguese: ressaca
- Romanian: mahmureală mahmureli
- Russian: похмелье
- Spanish: resaca
- Swedish: bakfylla
- Thai: การเมาค้าง
- Turkish: akşamdan kalma
- Ukrainian: похмілля
- Vietnamese: sự khó chịu sau khi uống rượu
Example Sentences Including 'hangover'
But Senlis was not sleeping off his hangover as dead to the world as she supposed.
By the 1980s, the communal aspect of drinking seems to be little in evidence, replaced almost entirely by the hangover.
Globe and Mail (2003)
I think this may be just some kind of hangover from last year's talks.
Glasgow Herald (2002)
Mark's going to learn tomorrow that a champagne hangover is the worst kind.
The Ambassador's Women
The War of Independence, of which the Declaration was a part, when won, left Americans with a post-revolutionary hangover.
Democracy and its Critics - Anglo-American democratic thought in the nineteenth century
The adrenaline seemed to have mopped up all the whisky and I felt a hangover doing press-ups in my head.
INSTRUMENTS OF DARKNESS (2002)
The makers tout it as a way to get a buzz without the calories, carbs or much of a hangover.
There is no better place to enjoy a hangover than Venice, the city which refuses to sink.
Country Life (2004)
to comment on this word.