- Also called: head, heading
- a phrase at the top of a newspaper or magazine article indicating the subject of the
article, usually in larger and heavier type
- a line at the top of a page indicating the title, page number, etc
- (usually plural) the main points of a television or radio news broadcast, read out before the full
broadcast and summarized at the end
See hit the headlines
- (transitive) to furnish (a story or page) with a headline
- to have top billing (in)
Example Sentences Including 'headlines'
In the morning, light came with the newspaper headlines blaring German victories in Poland, Russian retreats.
Dreams of Innocence
Scanning its headlines , he was surprised or otherwise to find that General `Gus" Stalinbrass had been assassinated.
Somewhere East of Life
This chap called Schumacher who's making all the headlines.
to comment on this word.