verb (transitive, adverb)
- to strike to the ground with a blow, as in boxing
- (in auctions) to declare (an article) sold, as by striking a blow with a gavel
- to demolish
- to dismantle, for ease of transport
- (informal) to reduce (a price, etc)
- (Australian, slang) to spend (a cheque)
- (Australian, slang) to drink
- overwhelming; powerful ⇒
a knockdown blow
- (mainly British) cheap ⇒
I got the table at a knockdown price
- easily dismantled ⇒
- (US & Australian, slang) an introduction ⇒
will you give me a knockdown to her?
Translations for 'knock down'
- British English: knock down To knock down a building or part of a building means to demolish or destroy it.Why doesn't he just knock the wall down?nɒk daʊn VERB
- Arabic: يُهَدِّمُ
- Brazilian Portuguese: derrubar com uma pancada
- Chinese: 击倒
- Croatian: srušiti
- Czech: strhnout strhávatbudovu
- Danish: slå ned
- Dutch: neerhalen
- European Spanish: derribar
- Finnish: iskeä maahan
- French: renverser
- German: niederschlagen
- Greek: ρίχνω κάτω με ένα χτύπημα
- Italian: abbattere
- Japanese: 打ち倒す
- Korean: 때려 부수다
- Norwegian: slå ned
- Polish: wywrócić wywracać
- Portuguese: derrubar
- Romanian: a dărâma
- Russian: сносить
- Spanish: derribar
- Swedish: slå ner
- Thai: ทุบทิ้ง
- Turkish: devirmekdüşürmek
- Ukrainian: зносити знести
- Vietnamese: phá hủy
Example Sentences Including 'knock down'
BBC bosses have been ordered to knock down an eyesore garden feature built by TV Home Front star Diarmuid Gavin.
Sun, News of the World (2002)
Gonna make hash of Saddam's praetorian guard, gonna knock down all his statues and drain his swimming pool.
Edmonton Sun (2003)
Gruden continued to knock down that idea after arriving in Philadelphia on Friday night.
Ottawa Sun (2003)
He concluded to Flexman: `only take care you do not kill yourself, or knock down the house '.
FARADAY: The Life (2002)
Roll up, roll up: knock down prices on Rachel Weisz calendars.
We frequently knock down buildings, we almost never get rid of public sculptures.
`Oh, well in that case let's just knock down all the prisons.
MUSIC FOR BOYS (2003)
to comment on this word.