- a person or thing that loses
- a person or thing that seems destined to be taken advantage of, fail, etc ⇒
a born loser
- (bridge) a card that will not take a trick
View thesaurus entry
Quotations including 'loser'
"Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser"
Translations for 'loser'
- British English: loser The losers of a contest or struggle are the people who are defeated....the losers of this year's Cup Final.ˈluːzə NOUN
- Arabic: خَاسِرٌ
- Brazilian Portuguese: perdedor perdedora
- Chinese: 输者
- Croatian: gubitnik gubitnica
- Czech: poražený poražená
- Danish: taber
- Dutch: verliezer
- European Spanish: perdedor perdedora
- Finnish: häviäjä
- French: perdant
- German: Verlierer Verliererin
- Greek: χαμένος χαμένη
- Italian: perdente
- Japanese: 敗者
- Korean: 잃은 사람
- Norwegian: taper
- Polish: nieudacznik
- Portuguese: perdedor perdedora
- Romanian: învins învinși
- Russian: проигравший (игрок) проигравшая
- Spanish: perdedor perdedora
- Swedish: förlorare
- Thai: ผู้แพ้
- Turkish: yenilmiş
- Ukrainian: той, що програв
- Vietnamese: người thua cuộc
Example Sentences Including 'loser'
Autonomy was another big software loser , dropping more than 10 %.
Glasgow Herald (2001)
Or she could have simply been consoling me for playing such a lousy hand with such a loser partner.
She had long ago realized that in the matter of Alex, she had not been a good loser.
The Ambassador's Women
The cult of the heroic loser isn't the only British trait to stem from those times.
IN FORKBEARD'S WAKE: Coasting Round Scandinavia (2003)
The hopeless loner, the seedy neurotic, the unwashed loser , the... the liver fluke, the mattress flea.
THE COMPANY OF STRANGERS (2002)
The loser drops into the semifinal against the winner of the three-four game.
The loser is Dudley Moore, whose radical notions don't go down too well with the polar establishment.
Glasgow Herald (2001)
The power of the playful In an anxious time, the whimsy of the Winnipeg's Royal Art Lodge collective could seem like loser art.
Globe and Mail (2003)
Why I'm still keen on Keane by Mick Hume Everybody wants a passionately bad loser like Roy Keane in their team.
to comment on this word.