verb (mainly transitive)
- (also intransitive) to be in charge (of); administer ⇒
to manage one's affairs,
to manage a shop
- to succeed in being able (to do something) despite obstacles; contrive ⇒
did you manage to go to sleep?
- to have room, time, etc, for ⇒
can you manage dinner tomorrow?
- to exercise control or domination over, often in a tactful or guileful manner
- (intransitive) to contrive to carry on despite difficulties, esp financial ones ⇒
he managed quite well on very little money
- to wield or handle (a weapon)
- (rare) to be frugal in the use of
- an archaic word for manège
Word Origin C16: from Italian maneggiare to control, train (esp horses), ultimately from Latin manus hand