- in or at the middle of the distance; halfway
- (US & Canadian) a place in a fair, carnival, etc, where sideshows are located
- (obsolete) a middle place, way, etc
View thesaurus entry
, in the middle of
, at the midpoint
, betwixt and between
Word usage trends for “midway”
Translations for 'midway'
- British English: midwaymid-way If something is midway between two places, it is between them and the same distance from each of them. ADVERBThe studio is midway between his aunt's old home and his cottage.
- Brazilian Portuguese: a meio caminho
- Chinese: 中间中间間
- European Spanish: medio camino
- French: à mi-chemin
- German: auf halbem Weg
- Italian: a metà strada
- Japanese: 中間地点で
- Korean: 중간쯤에
- Portuguese: a meio caminho
- Spanish: medio camino
Example Sentences Including 'midway'
"He turned and was midway across the room when he hesitated and looked back at her.
Roses are for the Rich
It was Carnival time in Riverside Park, with her little group the chief midway attraction.
Miss Melville Regrets
The entrance to the lifers ' wing was situated midway along the side of the block.