noun (functioning as singular or plural)
- the greatest Panhellenic festival, held every fourth year in honour of Zeus at ancient
Olympia. From 472 bc, it consisted of five days of games, sacrifices, and festivities
- Also called: the Olympics. the modern revival of these games, consisting of international athletic and sporting
contests held every four years in a selected country since their inception in Athens
in 1896 See also Winter Olympic Games
Translations for 'Olympic Games'
- British English: Olympic Games The Olympic Games are a set of international sports competitions which take place every four years, each time in a different country. NOUNAt the last Olympic Games she had won three gold medals.
- Brazilian Portuguese: Jogos Olímpicos
- Chinese: 奥林匹克运动会奥林匹克运運动動会
- European Spanish: Juegos Olímpicos
- French: Jeux olympiques
- German: Olympische Spiele
- Italian: Olimpiadi
- Japanese: 国際オリンピック大会
- Korean: 국제 올림픽 대회
- Portuguese: Jogos Olímpicos
- Spanish: Juegos Olímpicos
to comment on this word.