, -runs, -running, -ran, -run
- (transitive) to attack or invade and defeat conclusively
- (transitive) to swarm or spread over rapidly
- to run over (something); overflow
- to extend or run beyond a limit
- (intransitive) (of an engine) to run with a closed throttle at a speed dictated by that of the vehicle
it drives, as on a decline
- to print (a book, journal, etc) in a greater quantity than ordered
- to print additional copies of (a publication)
- (transitive) (printing) to transfer (set type and other matter) from one column, line, or page, to another
- (transitive) (archaic) to run faster than
- the act or an instance of overrunning
- the amount or extent of overrunning
- the number of copies of a publication in excess of the quantity ordered
- the cleared level area at the end of an airport runway
View thesaurus entry
, descend upon
, run riot over
= spread over
, spread like wildfire
, swarm over
, surge over
Translations for 'overrun'
- British English: overrunover-run If an army or an armed force overruns a place, area, or country, it succeeds in occupying it very quickly. VERBA group of rebels overran the port area and most of the northern suburbs.
- Brazilian Portuguese: invadir
- Chinese: 迅速占领迅速占佔领領
- European Spanish: invadir
- French: envahir
- German: einfallen in
- Italian: occupare
- Japanese: 一斉に侵略する
- Korean: 신속히 장악하다
- Portuguese: invadir
- Spanish: invadir
Example Sentences Including 'overrun'
He said: "They've got a problem in Weston -the place is overrun by rats.
Sun, News of the World (2002)
Locals say the rodents have overrun at least 800 homes, with an average of 200 rats in each.
No wonder our country is overrun with illegal immigrants.
Sun, News of the World (2001)
Of all the countries that had been overrun by the Germans, France was the most important, the only indubitable pre-war great power.
The Collins History of the World in the 20th Century
Otherwise we'd all be overrun with the icky little beasties.
I.O.U. - Someone Has to Pay
Safety aboard the outpost was also thrown into question by a study of NASA's massive budget overrun conducted in March.
New Scientist (2003)
The Rohirrim were defeated and their land was overrun ; and those who were not slain or enslaved fled to the dales of the mountains.
THE LORD OF THE RINGS (2004)
The affected code has something called a "buffer overrun "flaw.
`I'm afraid if the story leaks out, we'll be overrun with gold seekers!
The Secret of the Forgotten City
to comment on this word.