- to gather or be gathered in a pile; accumulate
- (informal) to crash or cause to crash
- (informal) a multiple collision of vehicles
Translations for 'pile up'
- British English: pile-up A pile-up is a road accident in which a lot of vehicles crash into each other....a 54-car pile-up.ˈpaɪlʌp NOUN
- Arabic: إِصْطِدَام
- Brazilian Portuguese: engavetamentotráfego
- Chinese: 数辆车同时碰撞事件
- Croatian: lančani sudar
- Czech: hromadná srážka
- Danish: harmonikasammenstød
- Dutch: kettingbotsing
- European Spanish: choque en cadena
- Finnish: ketjukolari
- French: carambolage
- German: Massenkarambolage
- Greek: καραμπόλα
- Italian: tamponamento a catena
- Japanese: 山積み
- Korean: 연쇄 충돌
- Norwegian: opphopning
- Polish: nagromadzenie
- Portuguese: choque em cadeiatráfego
- Romanian: accident în lanț accidente în lanț
- Russian: массовая автокатастрофа
- Spanish: choque en cadena
- Swedish: seriekrock
- Thai: รถชนกันหลายคัน
- Turkish: yığılmak
- Ukrainian: велика аварія
- Vietnamese: tai nạn liên hoàn
Example Sentences Including 'pile up'
As the fiscal fiascos pile up here at Spending Central on Queen St. W., the fat cats just get fatter.
Toronto Sun (2003)
As the years continue to pile up he's fast becoming Arbroath's equivalent of Yoda from Star Wars.
Sun, News of the World (2000)
Boys, I want you to pile up some chairs on that side of the aisle and on the other side.
He is a decent man and the speculation hanging over him will pile up every time Celtic get a bad result.
Sun, News of the World (1999)
In race two, Graham Camm and Zoe Ballantyne in Babel Fish avoided the pile up at the windward end to take the lead.
Yachting Boating World (2004)
It's going to take you a lot of rounds to pile up those points.
Spadafora wanted to prove he could trade punches and work from the inside out, but, in doing so, allowed Dorin to pile up an edge in points.
Ottawa Sun (2003)
Teach them to pile up breastworks with anything they've got, including their hands.
Dare Call It Treason
The clothes pile up in her wardrobe, often worn only once, and are then tossed carelessly aside.
Get Out of Debt and Prosper! a 10-step plan that really works
to comment on this word.