- one of the first units manufactured of a product, which is tested so that the design
can be changed if necessary before the product is manufactured commercially
- a person or thing that serves as an example of a type
- (biology) the ancestral or primitive form of a species or other group; an archetype
Derived Forms ˌprotoˈtypal
, prototypic (ˌprəʊtəˈtɪpɪk
, ˌprotoˈtypical adjective
Translations for 'prototype'
- British English: prototype A prototype is a new type of machine or device which is not yet ready to be made in large numbers and sold. NOUNHe has built a prototype of the machine.
- Brazilian Portuguese: protótipo
- Chinese: 样机样樣机機
- European Spanish: prototipo
- French: prototype
- German: Prototyp
- Italian: prototipo
- Japanese: 試作品
- Korean: 시제품
- Portuguese: protótipo
- Spanish: prototipo
Example Sentences Including 'prototype'
He looked more like the early prototype of the Neanderthal caveman, only bigger.
The Lonely Sea
We believe that these are the prototype rockets for launching an atomic bomb on London.
THE COMPANY OF STRANGERS (2002)
This was a prototype for a product that was never made, which was due to be called Hide It!