- any unwanted nontherapeutic effect caused by a drug Compare aftereffect (sense 2)
- any secondary effect, esp an undesirable one
Translations for 'side effect'
- British English: side effect The side effects of a drug are the effects, usually bad ones, that the drug has on you in addition to its job of curing illness or pain.The treatment has several unpleasant side effects.saɪd ɪˈfɛkt NOUN
- Arabic: آثَارٌ جَانِبِيَّة
- Brazilian Portuguese: efeito colateral
- Chinese: 副作用
- Croatian: nuspojava
- Czech: vedlejší účinek
- Danish: bivirkning
- Dutch: neveneffect
- European Spanish: efecto secundario
- Finnish: sivuvaikutus
- French: effet secondaire
- German: Nebenwirkung
- Greek: παρενέργεια
- Italian: effetto collaterale
- Japanese: 副作用
- Korean: 부작용
- Norwegian: bivirkning
- Polish: skutek uboczny
- Portuguese: efeito secundário
- Romanian: efect secundar efecte secundare
- Russian: побочный эффект
- Spanish: efecto secundario
- Swedish: biverkning
- Thai: ผลข้างเคียง
- Turkish: yan etki
- Ukrainian: побічний ефект
- Vietnamese: tác dụng phụ
Example Sentences Including 'side effect'
As a welcome side effect , it also boosts fat metabolism, and so will help you to lose weight.
Times, Sunday Times (2002)
Best real world side effect : The idea of government assassins playing video games makes your 10-hour Metroid marathon seem totally OK.
Facial blood vessels are the primary, visual side effect that are triggered by certain stimuli.
Courier, Sunday Mail (2004)
For some companies, emissions trading will become a business opportunity with the welcome side effect of cleaning up the atmosphere.
Globe and Mail (2003)
However, both formulas assume that the present value of additional interest tax shields is the only side effect of accepting the project.
Principles of Corporate Finance
It also has the unfortunate side effect of attracting an enormous amount of attention.
KICK BACK (2002)
Swallowing the breath her cry had been mounting upon had brought an unwelcome side effect : hiccups.
THE HELLBOUND HEART (2001)
Which might have had the side effect of summoning an unwanted visit from a screw.
to comment on this word.