- the state or quality of being tolerant
- capacity to endure something, esp pain or hardship
- the permitted variation in some measurement or other characteristic of an object or
- (physiology) the capacity of an organism to endure the effects of a poison or other substance,
esp after it has been taken over a prolonged period
View thesaurus entry
Quotations including 'tolerance'
"Live and let live"
"Tolerance is only another name for indifference"
"Tolerance should really be only a temporary attitude; it must lead to recognition"
Translations for 'tolerance'
- British English: tolerance Tolerance is the quality of allowing other people to say and do as they like, even if you do not agree or approve of it. NOUN...his tolerance and understanding of diverse human nature.
- Brazilian Portuguese: tolerância
- Chinese: 宽容宽寬容
- European Spanish: tolerancia
- French: tolérance
- German: Toleranz
- Italian: tolleranza
- Japanese: 寛大さ
- Korean: 관용
- Portuguese: tolerância
- Spanish: tolerancia
Example Sentences Including 'tolerance'
Edinburgh thus became a centre of cultured scholarship where ideals of liberty, morality and tolerance set a global example.
WHEN SCOTLAND RULED THE WORLD: The Story of the Golden Age of Genius, Creativity and Exploration (2002)
Everton residents association supports the tolerance zones, provided they are away from residential areas.
Liverpool Daily Post and Echo (2004)
Expressing thanks and donating tips he marvelled at their tolerance and patience.
The Image of Laura
He had acquired from battle or captivity no trace of tolerance.
In Love and War
He said his first priority is to put more officers in the community who would show "zero tolerance " for small offences.
Globe and Mail (2003)
Like Lieutenant Ulbricht, he has a high tolerance to sedatives.
Perhaps for a time I could count myself fortunate on having found tolerance in a borrowed country.
Glasgow Herald (2001)
The choice of investments you buy should be based on things such as your age, risk tolerance and life goals.
Globe and Mail (2003)
This is where zero tolerance is the only way to maintain public confidence.
Country Life (2005)
to comment on this word.