- the moment at which a landing aircraft or spacecraft comes into contact with the landing
- (rugby) the act of placing or touching the ball on the ground behind the goal line, as in
scoring a try
- (American football) a scoring play worth six points, achieved by being in possession of the ball in the
opposing team's end zone TD See also field goal (sense 2)
verb touch down intr, adverb
- (of a space vehicle, aircraft, etc) to land
- (rugby) to place the ball behind the goal line, as when scoring a try
- (informal) to pause during a busy schedule in order to catch up, reorganize, or rest
Translations for 'touchdown'
- British English: touchdown Touchdown is the landing of an aircraft or spacecraft....a perfect touchdown.ˈtʌtʃˌdaʊn NOUN
- Arabic: هُبُوط
- Brazilian Portuguese: aterrissagem
- Chinese: 着地
- Croatian: spuštanje
- Czech: přistání
- Danish: landing
- Dutch: landing
- European Spanish: aterrizaje
- Finnish: lentokoneen laskeutuminen
- French: atterrissage
- German: LandungTechnik
- Greek: παραβίαση τέρματοςράγκμπι
- Italian: meta
- Japanese: 着地
- Korean: 착륙
- Norwegian: landingsøyeblikk
- Polish: przyziemienie
- Portuguese: aterragem
- Romanian: aterizare aterizări
- Russian: приземление
- Spanish: aterrizaje
- Swedish: landning
- Thai: การบินลงแตะพื้น
- Turkish: golAmerikan futbolunda
- Ukrainian: приземлення
- Vietnamese: sự hạ cánh
Example Sentences Including 'touchdown'
After touchdown the reverse thrust roared like thunder and died away.
But worse, if the plane's climb was reduced because of a full load and you misjudged your final touchdown , the surrounding
Hope Has Wings
It appeared first as a blip on the radar screen and then out to the northwest on its glide path to touchdown.
OK, guess I'll field this one MEMORY LAME Half the games I've selected so far were decided by a touchdown or less.
Operating from the Toronto 14-yard line, Allen handed the ball to Humphrey, who hit a wide-open Tony Miles for a 96-yard touchdown.
Globe and Mail (2003)
Sadly for Sony, NFL Extreme is more likely to fumble than to score a touchdown !
The ball was worked through the three-quarters and Bowe had an easy touchdown.
Belfast Telegraph (2002)
The first five times the Renegades moved deep into Edmonton territory, they came away with four field goals and a touchdown.
Globe and Mail (2003)
When she was three miles from normal touchdown point he crossed the outer marker and switched his landing lights on.
Seize the Reckless Wind
to comment on this word.