- spontaneously fanciful or playful
- given to whims; capricious
- quaint, unusual, or fantastic. Also: : whimmy
Derived Forms whimsicality (ˌwɪmzɪˈkælɪtɪ
View thesaurus entry
, flaky (slang) (mainly US)
Translations for 'whimsical'
- British English: whimsical A whimsical person or idea is unusual, playful, and unpredictable, rather than serious and practical. ADJECTIVE...his offbeat sense of humor, his whimsical side.
- Brazilian Portuguese: excêntrico
- Chinese: 异想天开的异異想天开開的
- European Spanish: caprichoso caprichosa
- French: fantasque
- German: wunderlich
- Italian: estroso estrosa
- Japanese: 気まぐれな
- Korean: 엉뚱한
- Portuguese: excêntrico excêntrica
- Spanish: caprichoso caprichosa
Example Sentences Including 'whimsical'
He looked in the mirror in a sudden whimsical gesture at checking the matter.
The Complete Stories Volume 2
When he came away from the phone there was a whimsical quirk to his eyebrows.
The Quest for K