Terms and Conditions
This Site is owned and operated by HarperCollins Publishers Limited a company registered in Scotland under registration number 27389 and our registered address is Westerhill Road, Bishopsbriggs, Glasgow, G64 2QT ("HarperCollins/We"/ "Us"/"Our").
If You have any questions, complaints or comments on this Site then You may contact Us on email@example.com.
CONTENT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
The information and materials appearing on the Site ("the Content") are displayed for personal, non-commercial use only. All software used on this Site and all Content included on this Site (including without limitation Site design, text, graphics, audio and video and the selection and arrangement thereof) is the property of HarperCollins or its suppliers and is protected by international copyright laws. Word commonness and word trends are based partly on data derived from Google Ngrams.
Requests to republish any of the Content should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
REGISTRATION, PASSWORDS AND SECURITY
In order to post User Content on the Site you will need to register. You can do this by filling in the registration form found here: http://www.collinsdictionary.com/register. When you set up an account with the Site you will need to pick a username and password. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of Your password and user name and are responsible for all activities that are carried out under them. We do not have the means to check the identities of people using the Site and will not be liable where Your password or user name is used by someone else. You agree to notify us immediately by email to email@example.com of any unauthorised use of Your password or user name of which You become aware.
LINKS TO THIRD PARTY WEB SITES
The Site may include links to third party Internet websites which are controlled and maintained by others. These links are included solely for the convenience of users and do not constitute any endorsement by HarperCollins of the sites linked or referred to, nor does HarperCollins have any control over the content of any such sites. You acknowledge that We will not be party to any transaction or contract with a third party that You may enter into and We shall not be liable to You in respect of any loss or damage which You may suffer by using those websites. You agree that You will not involve Us in any dispute between You and the third party.
OUR RIGHT TO DELETE CONTENT
We may delete any User Content at any time for any reason including but not limited to where the Content is offensive, infringes the rights of any third party, threatens the safety of any person or is otherwise unlawful. We will not be required to give you any reason for deleting such Content or enter into any dialogue with you. Our decision will be final.
CONTENT WHICH IS PROHIBITED
The following is a partial list of the kind of User Content that is illegal or prohibited on the Site. Content which
- is offensive and promotes racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual;
- harasses or advocates harassment of another person;
- exploits people in a sexual or violent manner;
- contains images of nudity, violence, or offensive subject matter or contains a link to an adult website;
- solicits personal information;
- provides any telephone numbers, street addresses, postal codes, or email addresses;
- promotes information that you know is false or misleading or promotes illegal activities or conduct that is abusive, threatening, obscene, defamatory or libellous;
- promotes an illegal or unauthorized copy of another person's copyrighted work, such as providing definitions taken from existing dictionaries or links to them, providing information to circumvent manufacture-installed copy-protection devices, or providing pirated music or links to pirated music files;
- involves the transmission of "junk mail," "chain letters," or unsolicited mass mailing, instant messaging or "spamming";
- contains restricted or password only access pages or hidden pages or images (those not linked to or from another accessible page);
- furthers or promotes any criminal activity or enterprise or provides instructional information about illegal activities including, but not limited to making or buying illegal weapons, violating someone's privacy, or providing or creating computer viruses;
- solicits passwords or personal identifying information for commercial or unlawful purposes from other Users;
- involves commercial activities and/or sales without our prior written consent such as contests, sweepstakes, barter, advertising, or pyramid schemes;
- includes a photograph of another person that you have posted without that person's consent;
- any photographs containing nudity, or obscene, lewd, violent, harassing, sexually explicit or otherwise objectionable subject matter.
Despite this prohibition information provided by other users may contain inaccurate, inappropriate, offensive or sexually explicit material, and we assume no responsibility or liability for this material.
ACTIVITY WHICH IS PROHIBITED
The following is a partial list of the kind of activity that is illegal or prohibited on the Site. We reserve the right to investigate and take appropriate action against anyone who in our sole discretion violates these provisions, including but not limited to reporting you the relevant law enforcement authorities.
Prohibited activity includes, but is not limited to:
- criminal activity, including child pornography, fraud, trafficking in obscene material, drug dealing, gambling, harassment, stalking, spamming, sending of viruses or other harmful files, copyright infringement, patent infringement, or theft of trade secrets;
- advertising to, or solicitation of, any Member to buy or sell any products or services through the Site. You may not transmit any chain letters or junk email to other Users. It is also a violation of these rules to use any information obtained from the Site in order to contact, advertise to, solicit, or sell to any Member without their prior explicit consent. Covering or obscuring the banner advertisements on the Site via HTML/CSS or any other means;
- any automated use of the system, such as using scripts to add friends or send comments;
- interfering with, disrupting, or creating an undue burden on the Site or the networks or services that support the Site;
- attempting to impersonate another Member or person;
- using the account, username, or password of another member at any time or disclosing your password to any third party or permitting any third party to access your account;
- selling or otherwise transferring your profile;
- using any information obtained from the Site in order to harass, abuse, or harm another person;
- displaying an advertisement on your profile, or accepting payment or anything of value from a third person in exchange for your performing any commercial activity on or through the Site on behalf of that person, such as placing commercial content on your profile, posting comments with a commercial purpose or selecting a profile with a commercial purpose as one of your friends; or
- using the Site in a manner inconsistent with any and all applicable laws and regulations.
If you become aware of any misuse of the Site please contact us by clicking on the ‘Report as Inappropriate’ link on the relevant page.
OUR LEGAL OBLIGATIONS AND LIMITS ON LIABILITY
All content and services on the Site are provided on an 'as is' and 'as available' basis. We do not make any representation or give any warranty (whether express or implied) in respect of the Site or its Content, including, without limitation, any advice given (on a personal or general basis) and statements made by advertisers or other users on or via the Site. Any decisions or action taken by You on the basis of information provided on or via the website are at Your sole discretion and risk and You should obtain individual professional advice where necessary. Nothing in this clause 8 shall restrict Your statutory rights (including Your rights to receive a reasonable standard of service).
We do not warrant that the Site will be available uninterrupted and in a fully operating condition and access to the Site may be suspended temporarily and without notice in the case of system failure, maintenance or repair or for reasons reasonably beyond Our control.
There is no guarantee that the Site will be free of infection by viruses or anything else which may be harmful or destructive. We do not accept any liability for damage to Your computer system or loss of data that results from Your use of the Site and We cannot guarantee that any Content that You download are free from viruses, contamination or destructive features.
To the extent permitted by law, HarperCollins hereby disclaims all responsibility (howsoever arising) in connection with any loss and/or damage, arising out of or in connection with any use of, or inability to use, all or any part of the Content, the Site and/or any website to which the Site is linked, or any action taken (or refrained from being taken) as a result of using any of these.
Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall exclude or limit Our liability for fraudulent misrepresentation or for death or personal injury resulting from Our negligence or the negligence by Us, Our employees or agents
OUR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY IN USER CONTENT
As we are providing a freely hosted platform to develop the English language we assume no responsibility for monitoring the Site for amongst other things inappropriate or unlawful User Content, including but not limited to defamatory content.
Accordingly, we do not endorse or assume any liability for the User Content or any damage you may suffer as a result of the User Content nor do we make any representation or give any warranty express or implied as to the accuracy or lawfulness of the User Content.
The User Content does not reflect our opinions, views or policies.
YOUR GUARANTEES ON USER CONTENT
You are solely responsible for the User Content posted by you and all other material you transmit to us or other users. You represent and warrant that:
(i) you own the Content posted by you on the Site or have the right to post the User Content on the Site;
(ii) the User Content does not infringe the privacy rights, publicity rights, intellectual property rights or any other rights of any person;
(iii) the User Content does not breach any right of confidence;
(iv) the User Content is not libellous or obscene;
(v) the User Content is not in breach of the Official Secrets Act or any other similar legalisation or otherwise unlawful; and
(vi) that if followed any recipes or instructions included in the User Content will not cause any harm to any person.
SECURITY AND PRIVACY
We will co-operate with any law enforcement authorities or court order requesting or directing Us to disclose the identity of or locate anyone breaching any law or otherwise for the prevention or detection of crime or the apprehension or prosecution of offenders. There may be other circumstances in which We may be required by law to disclose information about You or Your use of the Website.
CHANGES TO THESE CONDITIONS OF USE
HARPERCOLLINS, COLLINS, COLLINS GEM, BANK OF ENGLISH COBUILD, and the 'fireandwater logo' are registered trade marks or trade marks of HarperCollins Publishers Ltd, and no users of this site are permitted to copy or reproduce these trade marks, or allow anyone else to do so for any reason, without the prior written consent of HarperCollins.
This Site, including the content and information contained herein, shall be governed by the laws of England and the courts of England shall be the place of jurisdiction. As such, the laws of England shall govern the disclaimer, legal notices, terms and conditions.
These Terms were last updated on 19 July 2012
Who are we?
This website is run by HarperCollins Publishers Limited ("HarperCollins", "we", "us" and "our") a company registered in Scotland under company number 27389 and whose registered offices are located at Westerhill Road, Bishopsbriggs, Glasgow, G64 2QT. HarperCollins is registered on the Information Commissioner's Data Protection Register under registration number Z4895037.
You may contact us via email firstname.lastname@example.org
How do we collect information from you and how do we use it?
We collect your information in different ways.
Some information we collect when you give it to us, for example when you give it to us by:
- Signing-up to a newsletter or email;
- Entering a competition or a promotion;
- Ordering book or other products or services from us;
- Registering on one of our websites; or
- Completing your profile or adding a comment on one of our online communities.
On other occasions it may have been supplied to us by one of our authors, partners or sister companies with your consent.
We also may collect information automatically using "cookies" (for more information about cookies and how we use them see Cookies.
We use the information we have about you in the following ways.
- To send you newsletters and information about books and authors you have subscribed to or which we think will interest you;
- To provide you with information on products or services we think might interest you based on your preferences;
- If you are a member of any of our online communities to access them and use their various functions;
- To participate on any of our forum, notice boards or other interactive content;
- To allow you to enter competitions and contact you about them;
- To process any orders for good or services you have purchased from us, and to contact you about them;
- To look at and respond to any messages, complaints or other queries you might send us; and
- To notify you about any changes to any of our websites, services or products.
Where you have given your consent we may pass your information on to carefully selected third parties to provide you with information about goods and services which may be of interest to you.
We may also approach you (ourselves or via a third party) to ask you questions to help us improve our websites and the goods and services we offer e.g. by asking you to participate in a survey about topical issues conducted by us or trusted partners or third parties. We will always let you know before you participate in any survey how any information you provide will be used.
In order to provide you with best experience we can we use 'cookies' on some of our websites. Cookies are small text files placed on your computer, they collect standard internet log information and visitor behaviour information which allows us to follow how you are using our websites and customise our services to your needs: e.g. customise content and advertising to your tastes, identify you and maintain your signed-in status to our websites.
You can change the settings on your browser to not accept cookies, however some features of our website may not work or may not be accessible to you if do.
For more information about cookies visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie
If you are a member of one of our online communities some of your information, such as your user name, may be visible to other people, as will any postings you make on the sites. As such you should always exercise care not to disclose private information when posting information on our websites, in your profile or in communications with other users of our websites.
We also do not tolerate spam, unrequested, commercial or harassing correspondence sent to other users of the sites via our website forums or other message boards, and we reserve the right to suspend the membership of any user who sends messages of this kind.
You should always keep any password used to access your account or profile secret, and should not share it with anyone else. It is your responsibility to keep your password secure and you should contact us immediately if you think someone else has access to your account.
Amending your data
You can amend or remove the data we hold about you at any time by following these steps:
To amend your profile on the Collins Dictionary website sign in to your account and go to the Edit My Profile page.
If you want to change your preferences for newsletters and other information we may send you email email@example.com.
If you would like us to remove all of your information from our database or have any questions about privacy issues, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by writing to us at Westerhill Road, Bishopsbriggs, Glasgow, G64 2QT.
Disclosure of information to other people
All information you provide to us is stored on secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
We may also share your data with third-parties who are providing us with services to help with our business operations and provide the websites to you.
Where a lawful request is made to us we also reserve the right to access and disclose your personal information to governments, law enforcement agencies or other parties whose request we reasonably consider to be justified to comply with any law.
Competition Terms & Conditions
1. This competition is promoted by HarperCollins Publishers (“HarperCollins”), 77-85 Fulham Palace Road, London, W6 8JB.
2. This promotion is open to all residents of all countries, excluding Japan and Korea, except employees of HarperCollins (or their parent, subsidiaries or any affiliated companies) and their immediate families, who are not allowed to enter the competition.
3. This competition can be entered by submitting a word for consideration to be included on www.collinsdictionary.com. Suggested words or definitions which are in breach of the site terms and conditions will not be eligible for the competition
4. There will be 46 winners. One winner will be picked each day each day from 18th July 2012 until 31st August 2012 and each winner will receive one (1) prize. Prizes include Microscoft smartphones, two pairs of mantyhose, a celebrity cardboard cut-out, t-shirts, a ‘tash-pack’ (lip gloss, mints and mirror), a handsfree mobile phone headset, DVDs, Gillette Venus razor, a SmallCarBigCity Italian Job Tour of London and other prizes yet to be announced.
5. Closing date for entries is 23:59 GMT each day from 17th July 2012 until 31st August 2012. Entries received after this time will be valid for the next day’s competition. Multiple submissions are permitted. No purchase necessary.
6. Prizes and prize values vary each day. For a full list of prizes
7. Winners are picked at random from all submitted words by HarperCollins Publishers and will be announce the following day via Facebook and Twitter and at www.collinsdictionary.com/whatsyourword.
8. Prizes will be delivered to the winners no later than 30th September 2012.
9. The prize is non-refundable, non-transferable and subject to availability. No guarantee is given as to the quality of the prize.
10. No cash or prize alternatives are available.
11. HarperCollins reserve the right in their reasonable discretion to substitute any prize with a prize of equal or greater value.
12. Any entry containing incorrect, false, unreadable, inflammatory or offensive information will be rejected. Any applications made on behalf of or for another person will not be included in the competition.
13. Multiple entries are permitted.
14. HarperCollins’ decision as to who has won the competition shall be final.
15. To obtain the name of the prize winner after the closing date, please write to Collins Language Marketing, HarperCollins Publishers, 77-85 Fulham Palace Road, Hammersmith, London, W6 8JB.
16. The entry instructions are part of the Terms and Conditions for this competition.
17. By entering the competition you are agreeing to accept these Terms and Conditions. Any breach of these Terms and Conditions by you will mean that your entry will not be valid, and you will not be allowed to enter this competition.
18. By entering this competition, you are agreeing that if you win your name and image may be used for the purpose of announcing the winner in any related publicity with HarperCollins, without additional payment or permission.
20. Under no circumstances will HarperCollins be responsible for any loss, damages, costs or expenses arising from or in any way connected with any errors, defects, interruptions, malfunctions or delays in the promotion of the competition or prize.
21. HarperCollins will not be responsible unless required by law, for any loss, changes, costs or expenses, which may arise in connection with this competition and HarperCollins can cancel or alter the competition at any stage.
22. Any dispute relating to the competition shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales and will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.