Synonyms of 'break'
- separate, burst, crack, destroy, disintegrate, fracture, fragment, shatter, smash, snap, split, tear
- disobey, breach, contravene, disregard, infringe, renege on, transgress, violate
- reveal, announce, disclose, divulge, impart, inform, let out, make public, proclaim, tell
- stop, abandon, cut, discontinue, give up, interrupt, pause, rest, suspend
- weaken, demoralize, dispirit, subdue, tame, undermine
- [a record, etc] beat, better, exceed, excel, go beyond, outdo, outstrip, surpass, top
Thesaurus for break from the Collins American English Thesaurus
When an object breaks or when you break it, it suddenly separates into two or more pieces, often because it has been hit or dropped.