Synonyms of 'plain'
- clear, comprehensible, distinct, evident, manifest, obvious, overt, patent, unambiguous, understandable, unmistakable, visible
- honest, blunt, candid, direct, downright, forthright, frank, open, outspoken, straightforward, upfront (informal)
- unadorned, austere, bare, basic, severe, simple, Spartan, stark, unembellished, unfussy, unornamented
- ugly, dumpy (informal), frowzy, homely (US), ill-favored, no oil painting (informal), not beautiful, unattractive, unlovely, unprepossessing
- ordinary, common, commonplace, everyday, simple, unaffected, unpretentious
- flatland, grassland, plateau, prairie, steppe, veld
Video: pronunciation of 'plain'
Thesaurus for plain from the Collins American English Thesaurus
A plain object, surface, or fabric is entirely in one colour and has no pattern, design, or writing on it.