Synonyms of 'settle'
- put in order, adjust, order, regulate, straighten out, work out
- land, alight, come to rest, descend, light
- move to, dwell, inhabit, live, make one's home, put down roots, reside, set up home, take up residence
- colonize, people, pioneer, populate
- calm, lull, pacify, quell, quiet, quieten, reassure, relax, relieve, soothe
- pay, clear, discharge, square, square up
- (often with on or upon) decide, agree, confirm, determine, establish, fix
- resolve, clear up, decide, put an end to, reconcile
Thesaurus for settle from the Collins American English Thesaurus
If people settle an argument or problem , or if something settles it, they solve it, for example by making a decision about who is right or about what to do.