Synonyms of 'start'
- begin, appear, arise, commence, issue, originate
- set about, embark upon, make a beginning, take the first step
- set in motion, activate, get going, initiate, instigate, kick-start, open, originate, trigger
- jump, flinch, jerk, recoil, shy
- establish, begin, create, found, inaugurate, initiate, institute, launch, pioneer, set up
Thesaurus for start from the Collins American English Thesaurus
If you start to do something, you do something that you were not doing before and you continue doing it.