French translation of 'fortunate'
- [person]to be fortunate
avoir de la chance
⇒ He was extremely fortunate to survive.
Il a eu énormément de chance de survivre.
⇒ They had a fortunate escape.
Ils ont eu de la chance de s'en sortir.to be in the fortunate position of
avoir la chance deit is fortunate that
c'est une chance que
⇒ It's fortunate that I remembered the map.
C'est une chance que j'aie pris la carte.
Example Sentences Including 'fortunate'
Nathan's friend, who later became his partner, had thought Nathan fortunate to be offered a girl whose beauty was an unexpected bonus.Out of the Ashes
Let's hope the other guests who were out walking like us have been as fortunate.Unto The Grave
Even now I have Thea and Herbert with me every day... I'm a fortunate old woman.The Ambassador's Women
Trends of 'fortunate'
View usage over:
'fortunate' in Other Languages
- Arabic: سَعِيدُ الـحَظّ
- Brazilian Portuguese: felizardo felizarda
- Chinese: 幸运的
- Croatian: sretan sretna
- Czech: šťastný
- Danish: heldig
- Dutch: fortuinlijk
- European Spanish: afortunado afortunada
- Finnish: onnekas
- French: chanceux
- German: Glück haben
- Greek: τυχερός τυχερή
- Italian: fortunato fortunata
- Japanese: 幸運な
- Korean: 운 좋은
- Norwegian: heldig
- Polish: szczęśliwy szczęśliwa
- Portuguese: felizardo felizarda
- Romanian: norocos norocos, norocoasă, norocoși, norocoase
- Russian: удачливый удачливая
- Spanish: afortunado afortunada
- Swedish: lyckosam lyckosamt
- Thai: โชคดี
- Turkish: şanslı
- Ukrainian: щасливий
- Vietnamese: may mắn
Translation of fortunate from the Collins English to French Dictionary