French translation of retired
à la retraite,
⇒ She's retired.
Elle est retraitée.a retired teacher
un professeur à la retraite
Example Sentences Including 'retired'
Even though he'd been a lawyer before he retired I didn't think his small-town practice would have been too demanding.BETTER THAN THIS (2002)
At dawn, with a pleasant weariness finally coming over him, he retired to bed.GALILEE (2001)
Jenny was an only child and her parents were retired academics living in Sussex.AFTERMATH (2001)
Trends of 'retired'
View usage over:
- (= give up work)
prendre sa retraite
⇒ He retired last year.
Il a pris sa retraite l'an dernier.to retire from teaching
prendre sa retraite de l'enseignementto retire from cricket
abandonner le cricketto retire from football
raccrocher les cramponsto retire from rugby
raccrocher les cramponsto retire from tennis
raccrocher sa raquetteto retire from boxing
raccrocher les gantsto retire from politics
se retirer de la politiqueto retire from the army
prendre sa retraite de l'arméeto retire from office
se retirer de ses fonctionsto retire from business
se retirer des affaires
- (sport, = withdraw) (from competition, race)
abandonnerto retire from sth [match, game, race]
- (= withdraw)
⇒ I retired to my study upstairs.
Je me suis retiré dans mon bureau à l'étage.
- (= go to bed)
aller se coucher,
Example Sentences Including 'retire'
By the way, there's a rumour going round that you're going to retire.The Image of Laura
The searchers returned to the house, sleepy and ready to retire.The Witch Tree Symbol
The way he was chugging the cholesterol, I didn't feel at all confident he'd live long enough to retire at forty.KICK BACK (2002)
'retired' in Other Languages
- Arabic: مُتَقاعِد
- Brazilian Portuguese: aposentado aposentada
- Chinese: 已退休的
- Croatian: umirovljen umirovljena
- Czech: v důchodu
- Danish: pensioneret
- Dutch: gepensioneerd
- European Spanish: jubilado jubilada
- Finnish: eläkkeellä oleva
- French: retraité
- German: pensioniert
- Greek: συνταξιούχος συνταξιούχα
- Italian: pensionato pensionata
- Japanese: 退職した
- Korean: 퇴직한
- Norwegian: pensjonert
- Polish: emerytowany emerytowana
- Portuguese: reformado reformada
- Romanian: pensionat pensionat, pensionată, pensionați, pensionate
- Russian: находящийся на пенсии находящаяся на пенсии
- Spanish: jubilado jubilada
- Swedish: pensionerad pensionerat
- Thai: ปลดเกษียณ
- Turkish: emekli
- Ukrainian: пенсіонер пенсіонерка
- Vietnamese: đã về hưu
Translation of retired from the Collins English to French Dictionary
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.