French translation of 'self-conscious'
- (= shy) [person, manner]
emprunté(e)to be self-conscious
⇒ He's always been rather self-conscious.
Il a toujours manqué un peu d'assurance.to feel self-conscious
se sentir mal à l'aise
⇒ She was really self-conscious at first.
Elle était vraiment mal à l'aise au début.
- (= self-aware, deliberate) [art, person, political movement]
conscient(e) de son image,
Example Sentences Including 'self-conscious'
Rebecca stops, self-conscious of parroting Patrick's opinions, again.THE CHEEK PERFORATION DANCE (2002)
Her rucksack, thudding on her back, makes her feel foolish and self-conscious though she sees nobody.Looking For the Spark
It was the first time that she'd been made self-conscious by a group of boys about her body.Come to Mecca
Trends of 'self-conscious'
View usage over:
'self-conscious' in Other Languages
- Arabic: خَجُول
- Brazilian Portuguese: acanhado acanhada
- Chinese: 自我意识的
- Croatian: samosvjestan samosvjesna, samosvjesno
- Czech: nesmělý
- Danish: selvbevidst
- Dutch: verlegen
- European Spanish: acomplejado acomplejada
- Finnish: vaivautunut
- French: timide
- German: befangen
- Greek: ενσυνείδητος ενσυνείδητη
- Italian: imbarazzato imbarazzata
- Japanese: 自意識の強い
- Korean: 남의 이목을 꺼리는
- Norwegian: forlegen
- Polish: nieśmiały nieśmiała
- Portuguese: acanhado acanhada
- Romanian: sfios sfios, sfioasă. Sfioși, sfioase
- Russian: застенчивый застенчивая
- Spanish: acomplejado acomplejada
- Swedish: självmedveten självmedvetet
- Thai: มีสติรู้ตัว
- Turkish: içine kapanık
- Ukrainian: сором'язливий
- Vietnamese: ngượng ngập
Translation of self-conscious from the Collins English to French Dictionary