French translation of 'shut down'
separable transitive verb
1. [factory, business] fermer définitivement
2. [machine, computer] arrêter
[factory, business] fermer définitivement
The cinema shut down last year. Le cinéma a fermé l’année dernière.
Copyright © by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Example Sentences Including 'shut down'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
An old guy in a warehouse next door collapsed and almost died'cause his pacemaker shut down for half a minute.BLACKWATER SOUND (2003)
'shut down' in Other Languages
British English: shut down /ʃʌt daʊn/ VERB
If a factory or business is shut down, it is closed permanently.
Smaller contractors were forced to shut down.
- American English: shut down
- Arabic: يَقْفِلُ
- Brazilian Portuguese: encerrar
- Chinese: 停业
- Croatian: zatvoriti
- Czech: zavřít ukončit provoz
- Danish: lukke ned
- Dutch: afsluiten computer
- European Spanish: cerrar máquina
- Finnish: lakkauttaa sulkea
- French: fermer
- German: stilllegen
- Greek: σταματώ τη λειτουργία
- Italian: chiudere
- Japanese: 閉鎖する
- Korean: 폐업하다
- Norwegian: koble ut
- Polish: zamknąć
- European Portuguese: encerrar
- Romanian: a închide
- Russian: закрывать(ся)
- Spanish: cerrar
- Swedish: lägga ner
- Thai: ปิดถาวร
- Turkish: kapatmak
- Ukrainian: закривати
- Vietnamese: đóng cửa
Translation of shut down from the Collins English to French Dictionary