French translation of take up
- (= continue after interruption) [one's story, activity]
- (= shorten) [dress, trousers, curtains]
- (= occupy) [time, space]
⇒ I won't take up any more of your time.
Je ne prendrai pas plus de votre temps.,
Je n'abuserai pas plus de votre temps.
- (= engage in) [hobby, activity]
se mettre à
⇒ I thought I'd take up fishing.
Je pensais me mettre à la pêche.
- (= accept) [offer, challenge]
- (= begin work in) [job, post]
- (= absorb) [liquids]
- (= raise) [matter, question, subject]
- (= start again)
⇒ David was taking up where he had left off.
David reprenait depuis l'endroit où il s'était arrêté.
Example Sentences Including 'take up'
She was beginning to feel as if she should take up childminding full time.Death and Transfiguration
So you can imagine the kind of creep she tended to take up with.Stage Fright
Then in 1710 he had moved with her to Edinburgh to take up a position in her father's woollen manufacture.Man's Loving Family
Trends of 'take up'
View usage over:
Translation of take up from the Collins English to French Dictionary