French translation of 'tension'
- (= strained relationship or state)
⇒ The tension between the two countries is likely to remain.
La tension entre les deux pays semble appelée à durer.,
Les tensions entre les deux pays semblent appelées à durer.
- (= anxiety and worry)
⇒ Laughing has been shown to relieve tension.
Il a été démontré que le rire atténue la tension.
- [of rope, wire]
Example Sentences Including 'tension'
I knew the evening had to come to an end, and I already felt all the tension of how we'd say goodbye.READY? (2001)
Doors were banging, people were running, and an air of tension and panic prevailed.RESCUING ROSE (2002)
Trust Samaranan to say the one thing guaranteed to ease his tension.TREASON KEEP (2001)
Trends of 'tension'
View usage over:
'tension' in Other Languages
- Arabic: تَوَتُّر
- Brazilian Portuguese: tensão
- Chinese: 紧张
- Croatian: napetost
- Czech: napětí vypětí
- Danish: spænding
- Dutch: spanning strakzetten
- European Spanish: tensión músculo
- Finnish: jännite jännitystila
- French: tension nervosité
- German: Spannung Anspannung
- Greek: ένταση κοινωνική
- Italian: tensione trazione
- Japanese: 緊張
- Korean: 긴장
- Norwegian: spenning
- Polish: napięcie niepokój
- Portuguese: tensão
- Romanian: tensiune stări de încordare
- Russian: напряжение
- Spanish: tensión ansiedad
- Swedish: spänning påfrestning
- Thai: ความตึงเครียด
- Turkish: gerginlik
- Ukrainian: напруга
- Vietnamese: tình trạng căng thẳng
Translation of tension from the Collins English to French Dictionary