German translation of 'wait up'
aufbleiben (for wegen, für)
- (especially US, informal) wait up!
Example Sentences Including 'wait up'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
"Don't wait up for me," Kyle told his brother, starting toward Lianne.JADE ISLAND (2001)
If he's not there when we get in then you can go to bed and I'll wait up for him.FALLEN WOMEN (2002)
`Hey, wait up ," he called out, catching up with them at the foot of the stairs.CODE BREAKER
She had told Kirsty not to wait up for her; she could undress herself.SANDS OF TIME (2003)
Trends of 'wait up'
Used Rarely. wait up is in the lower 50% of commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
'wait up' in Other Languages
British English: wait up /weɪt ʌp/ VERB
If you wait up, you deliberately do not go to bed, especially because you are expecting someone to return home late at night.
I hope he doesn't expect you to wait up for him.
- American English: wait up
- Arabic: يَنْتَظِرُ
- Brazilian Portuguese: esperar acordado
- Chinese: 不睡觉地守候
- Croatian: čekati budan
- Czech: zůstat vzhůru a počkat
- Danish: sidde oppe og vente
- Dutch: opblijven voor
- European Spanish: esperar levantado
- Finnish: valvoa ja odottaa jotakuta
- French: veiller
- German: aufbleiben für
- Greek: περιμένω ξύπνιος
- Italian: rimanere alzati
- Japanese: 寝ないで待つ
- Korean: 자지 않고 기다리다
- Norwegian: vente oppe
- Polish: czuwać
- European Portuguese: esperar acordado
- Romanian: a așteptafără a se culca
- Russian: дожидаться
- Spanish: esperar levantado
- Swedish: vänta på
- Thai: รอคอย
- Turkish: yatmayıp beklemek
- Ukrainian: не йти спати
- Vietnamese: thức đợi
Translation of wait up from the Collins English to German Dictionary