Hindi translation of 'backfire'
backfire /ˌbækˈfaɪə, Am -ˈfaɪr ˌबैकˈफ़ाइअ Am -ˈफ़ाइर्/
Word forms: backfires, backfiring, backfired
1. intransitive verb
If a plan backfires, it has the opposite result to the one that was intended.
विफल हो जाना
विपरीत परिणाम देना
2. intransitive verb
When a motor vehicle or its engine backfires, it produces an explosion in the exhaust pipe.
Copyright © 2014 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Example Sentences Including 'backfire'
`People next door heard shots last night, but thought it was truck backfire on the Northway, which is about half a mile away.Doll's Eyes
You could do more harm than good if it were to backfire on you.The Devil's Door
There was so much racket, I didn't even think it was a backfire , really.WHITE LIES (2003)
Trends of 'backfire'
View usage over:
'backfire' in Other Languages
- Arabic: يُخَّلِفُ نَتَائِج عَكْسِيَّة
- Brazilian Portuguese: obter um resultado oposto ao que se esperava
- Chinese: 事与愿违
- Croatian: izjaloviti se
- Czech: mít opačný účinek
- Danish: give bagslag
- Dutch: mislopen
- European Spanish: fallar
- Finnish: epäonnistua
- French: mal tourner
- German: fehlschlagen
- Greek: αποτυγχάνω
- Italian: ritorcersi contro
- Japanese: 裏目に出る
- Korean: 기대에 어긋난 결과가 되다
- Norwegian: slå tilbake (på)
- Polish: przynieść odwrotny skutek przynosić odwrotny skutek
- Portuguese: obter um resultado oposto ao que se esperava
- Romanian: a eșua
- Russian: неожиданно привести к обратным результатам
- Spanish: fallar fracasar
- Swedish: slå slint
- Thai: ให้ผลตรงข้ามกับที่ตั้งใจไว้
- Turkish: geri tepmek
- Ukrainian: давати протилежний результат
- Vietnamese: phản tác dụng
Translation of backfire from the Collins English to Hindi Dictionary