Hindi translation of meter
meterPowered by COBUILD /ˈmiːtə ˈमीटअ/
Word forms: meters
Definitions and Translations
1. countable noun
A meter is a device that measures and records something such as the amount of gas or electricity that you have used.
⇒ ...the electricity meter. ⇒ ...a parking meter.
⇒ a gas/electricity/water/light meter ⇒ a moisture/decibel/pH meter ⇒ read/check/use a meter ⇒ a meter measures/shows ⇒ a meter reading
2. → see also metremeter or metre?In British English, a meter is a measuring device and a metre is a unit of length (= 100 centimetres).In American English, the spelling meter is used for both meanings.
Copyright © 2014 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Example Sentences Including 'meter'
I asked Frankie to wait for me while I went upstairs to check for messages, and he turned on the meter.A Conviction of Guilt
Or he could send someone, maybe a fake meter reader or census taker.SOMEBODY (2002)
He folded his arms and seemed to be doing his best to tower over the seated Anthony like an unfolded meter rule.The Complete Stories Volume 2
Trends of 'meter'
View usage over:
'meter' in Other Languages
- Arabic: عَدّادُ
- Brazilian Portuguese: medidor medidora
- Chinese: 仪表
- Croatian: mjerač
- Czech: měřicí přístroj elektroměr apod.
- Danish: meter
- Dutch: meter
- European Spanish: contador
- Finnish: mittari
- French: compteur
- German: Zähler Zähler
- Greek: μετρητής
- Italian: metro
- Japanese: メーター
- Korean: 미터
- Norwegian: måler
- Polish: metr
- Portuguese: medidor medidora
- Romanian: contor contoare
- Russian: измерительный прибор
- Spanish: contador medidor
- Swedish: meter
- Thai: หน่วยวัดความยาวเป็นเมตร
- Turkish: sayaç
- Ukrainian: вимірювальний прилад
- Vietnamese: dụng cụ đo
Translation of meter from the Collins English to Hindi Dictionary